Friday, March 7, 2014

Blogging the Menu: Day 72

I got a big 10 reps on the WOD today.  10 overhead squats at 65#.  Which, incidentally, is a personal best as I've never done an overhead squat with more than 55#.  Huzzah!  We had a ton of fun practicing our kip swings (aka "twitching on the bar") and as always I have much love for 5:15am.

It was above freezing today and I was fucking giddy with Spring Fever.  I had to stop for gas on the way home this morning and out of habit I put on my extra sweats and hat and boots for standing in the cold.  Then I got out of the car and was all "WHY AM I WEARING ALL THESE CLOTHES? IS BEAUTIFUL MORNING!!!  WHEEEEEEE!!!!"  I didn't even mind the wind destroying my hair on the walk from my car to my office.  (Seriously, why do I bother combing my hair at all?)

The forecast for Sunday is something like 38 degrees and sunny with hardly any wind.  I have 11 miles on the calendar.  If I can go out for 11 miles with one layer of clothing on I will be out of my mind with happiness.  I will be one of those nutbag runners with the stupid grin plastered on my face for 2 hours until my cheeks hurt.

Also I hear it's daylight savings time this weekend.  I hear this from everyone.  All that's left is for my Mom to call and remind me-which she has done every year since I was 17.  She lives in Arizona. They don't even change their clocks and she knows when daylight savings time is.  I'll probably call my kids and remind them forever, too.  It's tradition.

On to the menu!!
I tried the half-and-half method of eating a RxBar before/after my WOD.  Worked well this time, too.
Don't worry, I wasn't driving when I took this.

I'm making an attempt to eat a more balanced breakfast (ie-adding some carbs) so I hit Costco for some new and exciting fruits.  
Blackberries are exciting.  Shut up.

I also bought some kielbasa at Costco.  I couldn't help it.  They were all natural roasted garlic.  They had me at "have another sample".  I love sausage.  
Images may not be appropriate for small children.

I couldn't remember what we were having for supper, so I was delighted when I got home and discovered we were having chili.  My husband makes the greatest chili.  He doesn't know what's in it, but he totally made it bean-free for me.

Soon it will be too warm for chili.  But not today.

Dinner was a bit of a fail from a balance standpoint.  There's a fair amount of onion/tomato/etc in here, but I probably should have added something else and I don't think the 13 or so grapes I had before dinner were quite enough.

I'm considering using the Zone to balance my meals, but I'm finding it difficult to wrap my brain around it. Blah blah blocks, blah blah.  I poked around on the interwebs today and found a few sites that were helpful in a basic way, but the all featured pictures of meals including various numbers of "blocks" but they weren't at all the way that I eat.  Snacks?  Sure, I can eat a cup of grapes and an ounce of jerky and a few almonds.  Figuring out how many blocks are in my recipes?  That sounds like a lot of fucking math.  There's no way in hell I'm going to eat 2 egg whites and one sausage and a whole tomato and a teaspoon of cashew butter.  So I did what I do and got a book.  If I can figure out how to make it work in real life I may give it a go.  

I'm finding a lot of joy in the Paleo way of eating at this point.  If Zone destroys the joy, I'm out.

Tomorrow it'll be clean-the-house-and-do-the-laundry-and-make-the-menu day.  I'm kicking around the idea of taking the kids for the free WOD, but the last time I took them on a Saturday morning it didn't go well.  If nothing else I'll get my house in order so I can go out for my 11 on Sunday guilt free.

I'm actually excited about an 11 mile run.  Sometimes I wonder about my own sanity.




No comments:

Post a Comment