Sunday, March 9, 2014

Blogging the Menu: Day 74

Choosing a running route was angsty today.  I have plenty of routes that I like around my house, but the snow melt makes some of them problematic.  Ideally I would've run down to the Wildlife Sanctuary and back, but that requires running up a busy road that has zero on-pavement shoulder (no bike lane, not even a painted line with 6 inches of give on the side.  When there's snow on the ground, especially deep banks, there's no where to go if a car threatens (and they do).  I eventually settled on an out and back that is basically my commute.  The total route is 11 miles, but I realized I only had 9 today so I turned back early.  The road has both bike lane and sidewalk, so there are options.  The sidewalk was swamped in several areas and the ice was rink quality.  I managed not to fall, which was good.

The headwind was pretty sucky.  Kind of like getting repeatedly punched in the gut, but at least it took my mind off the hills.

Still, I was outside without the need for six layers of fleece, so it beat a poke in the eye.

On to the Menu!
Breakfast was the last two waffles that wouldn't fit in the freezer along with the last of the blackberries.  And some bacon.
This was delicious.

I have a hard time eating right after a run, but I know I need to put protein in ASAP for recovery.  We had a partial carton of almond milk in the fridge, so I blended that with the two partial bags of berries I found in the freezer and a scoop of Progenex Recovery.  

It did it's job.

I don't really use supplements-I think they are unnecessary for someone like me as a general rule (ie I'm not an elite athlete, I have a healthy and functional gut that is capable of consuming a wide range of food, and I forget to take them so why buy them), but I have the bag of Recovery so I thought why not use it?

The smoothie wasn't terrible, but it had a bitter/acrid aftertaste.  I read the ingredients after the fact.  There's sucralose in it.  Bleh.  Why you gotta be like that, Progenex?

I didn't eat lunch until almost 2pm and it was last night's leftovers.
mmmmmmmmm.


Then I laid on the couch and watched real estate shows while I surfed a real estate site.  Anyone want to go halfsies on a vacation home in Cornucopia?  It's a steal!

For dinner my husband grilled Juicy Lucys.  That's a hamburger stuffed with cheese.  I ate one and it was delicious.  I'm not a Paleo purist, in that I do eat dairy while not part of a challenge group.  This one will cost me $20, but I don't care.  I fucking miss cheese.  I MISS CHEESE.

I would've had a sweet potato, but that seemed like a lot of work.

The kids are currently making a lot of noise and being general jackasses.  It's bath night, too.  It seems so early yet because of the time change...but it's T-minus 2 hours until bedtime.  I can't wait.  

I might get crazy and eat some dates later.  Who knows.  I go where the wind takes me.

Anyone want a bag of Progenex Recovery?




No comments:

Post a Comment