Saturday, March 15, 2014

Blogging the Menu: Day 80

I had a great run today!  10 miles, my first double digit of the season.  It was a lovely day for it.  Not much wind, some sunshine, and even some fluffy snowflakes.  This is the kind of winter training I love.  Kind of a shame we had to wait until March 15th to get it!

I wore my Brooks Pure Flow which is a much more minimal shoe than I typically wear for long runs, but I wore my Launch last week and frankly my knees hurt after that run.  My knees never hurt.  They're shoes I've worn before and deeply loved and this pair is pretty new-only about 75 miles on them.  Still, I didn't want to jinx myself if they were the problem, so I wore the Flows.  Verdict?  My knees felt great.  Now, I was also wearing my CW-X Stabilyx tights, which might have helped, but I was happy that my Flows held up so nicely.  I've never really entertained the notion of wearing them for a half marathon, but maybe I should.

I'm supposed to do the Two Rivers 10-mile next week, but I'm having a hard time finding a sitter, and I'm starting to think maybe I should skip it.  It is my babies' 4th birthday and it seems sad for them to wake up to a sitter.  The reg was only $25, so it's not like I paid $65 to run (ahem Soldier Field 10-mile) and it's an event I've done before.  Anyone want to buy a bib?

On to the Menu!
My husband made bacon pancakes for the kids (you know, that Pinterest thing where you pour batter over a bacon strip on the griddle?) and they thought that was pretty cool.  Since the griddle was out I made banana pancakes for myself.  The recipe is pretty Zoney, with protein, fat, and carbs.  I just added some bacon to even up the protein and drizzled on a little maple to even up the carbs.  Ends up being a 4 block breakfast.  Not too shabby, plus it's pretty.
No walnuts today.

The husband went out for a run and I wanted another cup of coffee, so I made a coconut milk latte.  Damn these are good.

My running partner today was on call and had a morning of visits, so we went out for our run around noon.  I don't usually run that late, so I had a RxBar as a pre-workout snack figuring if it sits well for a WOD it should sit well for a run.  It did.  Actually worked out pretty damn great.
With the latte it amounted to a 3ish block "meal"

The run was fantastic, but seeing as I hadn't showered since Friday morning before work (and I went to hot yoga and just finished a 10 mile run) I smelled fucking awful, so I made my post-run smoothie and stuck it in the fridge while I got in the shower.  You know when you get to the point where you can smell yourself?  Yeah, I was there.  It kept pretty well in the icebox and gave the chia seeds a chance to thicken things up a bit.  This thing was really good.  Made 2 glasses worth and is extremely well balanced.  Sweet potato, almond milk, protein powder, chia...all the big hitters along with some coffee grounds and vanilla and a touch of maple syrup.  I'd like to try it with pumpkin puree as well at some point.  
Two pints of lovely.

Dinner was meatballs of my husband's creation.  The "this sounds good" method, which means they will never be recreated.  He also made cauliflower mash, but didn't realize the almond milk I purchased for my smoothie was vanilla flavored (unsweetened) when he splashed some into the food processor.  I tasted the end product, and you'll be happy to know that you can't taste the vanilla at all when mixed with cauliflower.  You can smell it, which is odd, but you can't taste it.  

There's ghee in the mash as well, so this is a 4ish block meal.
Cauliflower takes up way less room when you mush it up.

I feel like I'll need to eat again before bed.  We'll see.  Maybe I'll have another RxBar...

Tomorrow I was thinking of doing the 8:15 WOD, but at this point I'd be better served by active rest in the form of Pilates.  Then it's Paleo pot-luck brunch time (after I play judge for a friend's 14.3).  I'm going to give 14.3 another try on Monday morning.  I want to get through those stupid 155s.  Tomorrow night I'll be dragging out the rumble roller for some painful but needed mobility.  Hopefully while watching Cosmos.  I love Neil deGrasse Tyson.  Big time nerd crush right here.

The laundry waits for me...then an early bedtime!  





No comments:

Post a Comment