Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Blogging the Menu: Days 103-105

Can I just tell you how hard it is to do a daily blog with a new puppy?  Pretty fucking hard.  Electrical cords are apparently delicious, because the animal has been attempting to eat every one in the house since Sunday. I've been more successful at blogging than getting to the gym, and that's a little pathetic.

All that's about to change, though.  I worked my last non-third shift today.  I have 2 days of out of town computer training to round out the week and then I'm officially a third shifter.  I can't wait for everything to settle into a routine again.  I'm over my cold and the weather is improving which makes me itch to run, but everything has been so AAAAAAaaaaaAAAAAaaaaAAAAAaaaaAAaAAAaaaa around here for the last 2 weeks that I can't work, care for all the small humans in the house, constantly keep an eagle eye on the new dog, workout, AND sleep.  Something had to give, and it was the gym.  Fortunately, the cafeteria has been providing plenty of healthy meals and we've been cooking at home as well so at least foodwise I'm still on track.

I am so looking forward to a daily workout.  10 days off is tooooooo looooooong.  I forgot how to do everything active.  Well, we've been walking the dog...

On to the menu!
I forgot to take a picture of my breakfast on Monday.  It was 2 eggs, bacon, and pineapple.  Nice and Zoney.  Lunch was leftover chili with zoodles.  The zoodles make this.  It is so good, and was better the second day.  Sunday night I slept for shit because I was on puppy duty and she got up every single goddamn hour.  Nature makes babies cute for a reason.  So you won't kill them in a sleep deprivation induced rage.

Dog in the kennel, kids napping.

My sock club shipment arrived, and being the 90 year old lady I am, I was very excited.  I get a skein of sock yarn, 2 patterns for socks, and 2 cookie recipes.  This shipment included a recipe for Amaretti, which I made paleo by subbing raw honey for the sugar.  They are beautiful and delicious.  And pretty Zoney, truthfully.  Made with eggwhite, almonds, and honey, they hit all the Big Three.  Definitely a "sometimes" treat, but not the worst thing for a person.

Crispy on the outside, soft on the inside.

I made Rosemary Pork Burgers for dinner.  This recipe is so beautiful and simple with such a bright flavor.  I love it.  I stuffed this one with goat cheese and it was divine.  Just pan fried as I couldn't operate the grill, and simultaneously watch the children and the dog.  Oh, BTW?  Kids will try to murder each other the moment you begin food prepping or pick up a knife.  A new puppy will try to murder the children or shit on your carpet the moment you put your hands in raw meat.  I learned a valuable lesson:  KENNEL THE DOG WHILE YOU COOK.

Seriously the best use of goat cheese ever.

Tuesday I worked a day shift after 2 nights of minimal sleep.  Getting the kids off to school and making it to work on time went shockingly well considering my general state of hhhhuuuuuuhhhhh?  But I sure as shit wasn't together enough to pack a lunch.  Cafeteria to the rescue.

Ye olde standebye.

And because being tired makes me hollow and I'm basically a Hobbit:

Second breakfast.

The resident thought the combo was odd because fruit is so healthy and bacon is not.  But she had candy for breakfast, so I let that slide.  I went down to the chemo cave to learn about an aspect of the computer system that I'll have to use infrequently.  At around 2 I was hungry for lunch, so here it is.  Chicken salad and tea.

Boring, but easy.

The hubs made meatballs for dinner.

Mmmmmmeatballs!

This morning I felt a little better since I was off dog duty last night and actually got a reasonable amount of sleep.  I barely made it to work on time, though, so cafeteria it was again.

I spend a lot of time isolating the pineapple.

Lunch was build your own nachos.  For me that means meat, lettuce, tomato, olives, jalapeno, and a shitload of guac.  

Not exactly nachos.

Dinner was leftover pork burgers and roasted cauliflower.  Serviceable.  I'm teaching myself to enjoy cauliflower florets.  It's going....okay.

Pork burgers are awesome.

I haven't been snacking as I should.  Mostly this is because my meals have been closer to 4 or 5 blocks than 3 as I haven't been making them at home as often.  I also haven't felt hungry between meals because of that fact, so I haven't been "eating just to eat".  My second breakfast day was an exception, of course.  I've had a few Amaretti, which I think counts as they are calorie dense and relatively complete.  The cafeteria isn't 24 hours, so once I'm third shifting it I won't be able to rely on it.  I'll also have plenty of time in the evenings to make my meals and I'm looking forward to it.  

So pretty.

After a week of consciously trying to remain "in the Zone" I've been pretty successful.  I haven't really noticed excessive hunger, and if I've felt hungry "early" it's because I forgot to eat my snack or there was an imbalance in my previous meal that I was able to correct.  I lost just shy of 2 pounds, which is fairly impressive as I feel like all I do is stuff my face.  I don't feel deprived (except for cheese which I want all the time) and aside from the stress I cause myself by not getting enough veg carbs (who can eat that much salad/veg?  I ASK YOU WHO?  OR WHOM? OR WHATEVER IS GRAMMATICALLY CORRECT) I've been reasonably chill about it.

I wonder if I could find the 150s again.  It's only 6lbs away...and perhaps that 29 inch waist is out there somewhere as well.  

Oh.  I also want wine.  Maybe with some cheese.

And I want to go to the gym.  And for a run.  Or maybe both in one day like a boss.  I'm so excited for days off!  Days off!!!  And I put in a vacation request today, too!  A vacation request!!  WHO AM I?!?




No comments:

Post a Comment