Thursday, January 22, 2015

Blogging 2015: 115 down, 1900 to go

A big milestone is on the horizon!  I'll break 1900 miles tomorrow!  I need to go look at the 2015 in 2015 website for the target mileage for January, but I think I've only got about 55 miles to hit it and still have over a week to get there.  No sweat.  If I recall correctly, hitting the mileage makes you eligible for prizes.  I like prizes.

So today I started a juice fast.  I watched a film called Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead a few weeks ago and was fascinated by the idea of it.  I decided to give it a go and found a place that does pre-packaged, fresh juices.  I wasn't prepared to spend $200 on a juicer before trying this out.  I remembered this week that about 10...or maybe 15?...years ago my Dad bought a juicer thinking he could juice the stuff he grew in his garden.  He didn't do it for long, but the juicer is still around so I may give making my own juice a go in the future.  I figured that doing this on my "on" week at work would serve 2 purposes.  1. Keep me from eating all the things at night and 2. Provide me with an automatic low activity period.  Obviously I'm not doing 3-a-days on just juice, but I can run/walk and go to yoga which is my primary exercise on my on weeks.

You can feel free to judge me, just do it quietly, m'kay?  M'kay.

So breakfast this morning was juice (and tea).
Tasty.

Fantastic husband took the boys to the Y for gym day and I hopped on the treader.  It was a lovely day, but I had consumed a crapload of water, tea, and juice and figured I'd be needing the bathroom.  I did 5 miles on the treader and had to stop to pee 3 times.  So good call there.


I feel pretty, oh so pretty!

After I got my required miles in, I made lunch for the kids so it would be on the table when they got home from the Y.  Just in time to eat it and head to 4K.  I had a juice.  This one had cayenne pepper in it, and holy shit was that delicious. This one was apple, lemon, ginger, and cayenne and it was like angry lemonade in the best way possible.  Seriously, I have never considered adding pepper to something like this, but you bet your ass I'll be sprinkling cayenne into my lemonade this summer.  I had a cocktail after Ragnar Adirondacks that was maple with cayenne and I liked it, but this is waaaaaay better.  I bet it would RULE with vodka.

SPICY.

Since it was such a nice day I joined fantastic husband and crazy dog for a 3 miles of bonus walking.  These are my favorite kind of winter days.  Bright blue sky, mostly dry roads, and the painful brightness of the snow sparkling in the sun.  We had a nice walk with the dog...and about a quarter mile from home I needed to pee with frightening urgency.

I have to work tonight, so when we got home it was nap time.  I actually got a few hours of sleep, which was nice.  Sometimes I have difficulty sleeping my first day since I slept all night the night before.  I also slept "late" this morning as I wussed out on going to CrossFit.  No real reason, just didn't want to get up.  It happens.

I was awakened by a small boy playing a drum.  So I got up to pee and tried to go back to sleep...only to hear the dog freaking out for some reason.  Which basically meant it was time to get up.  Dinner was juice. This one was carroty.  Tasty, though.  I still have 4 juices left for "today" which I'll be drinking overnight. They're all "green" juices so less carrot and more leafy greens.  I have a box of mint tea and cinnamon tea as well.  I'm cutting caffeine down, but it will take a few days to eliminate it.  I don't need a 7 day headache.  

Carroty.

So it's back to the salt mine this evening.  This was a good off week.  I only put on real pants once and got in lots of good activity.  I discovered a deep love for my Champion sweats.  The size large open cuff ones fit perfectly (as long as I don't put them in the dryer-I've turned more sweat pants into sweat capris that way) and are much cheaper than the Nike ones.  I need to find some more of those.  I may never wear jeans again.

I'm doing okay with the juice so far.  Tonight will be the true test.  What I'm hoping to get out of this is a reprogramming of my taste buds (I don't eat enough veg, I get lazy and I skip it) and a greater understanding of how to deal with cravings.  I get to the point where I don't understand what hunger feels like anymore. Do you do this?  You're so programmed to eat every couple of hours that you never actually get hungry...or you DO get hungry but your response to it is overblown?  Hunger is a message.  Am I going to starve to death? Hell no.  I could live for weeks off my saddlebags alone, but I react as though I've never eaten before and will never eat again.  I'm going to work on that this week.  

I'm an experiment of one.  Bring it on!

1 comment:

  1. I juiced for 28 days during the summer & bought a juicer. I haven't used it in a while but I'm a hard time getting fruits/veggies in my tummy so I might do a juice a day. Looking forward to your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete