Friday, January 9, 2015

Blogging 2015: 49 down, 1966 to go

Whew.  That 0.5 miles has been bugging me for days.

So last night I finished up my pity party with some cake, because what's a party without cake.  In reality, my tech was given a piece by one of the unit nurses (baby shower cake) and she split it in half and gave some to me.  It was before midnight, and I'd given myself until midnight to wallow so what the hell.  It was a monstrous huge piece.  I mean, just look at it.

Monstrous cake.

The practice I've found most successful for overnight eating is to have dinner at midnight (a small portion) and then a snack of some type every couple hours after that.  If I eat too much at one time on the night shift I get wicked heartburn.  Last night was leftover Pad Thai for my midnight "lunch".

Always better the second day.

I had some raspberries for desert.  Uhhh...there were raspberries in here, honest.

They were good?

At about 3am I dug out my next snack.  An orange (what a huge surprise!) and some pecans.  This is a pretty satisfying snack.  I'd recommend it.  Like my hospital cup of water?  I drank ice water all night along with my tea and froze my fucking ass off.  This is the problem I have with winter hydration.  I'm thirsty, because the heat is on and everything is dry as shit, but if I drink ice water I get so cold my teeth chatter.  First world problems, yo.

ORANGES!  ALL THE ORANGES!

5am is I had some quinoa breakfast mush.  Just a little bit with some honey.  It helped soothe my freezing soul.

My tech's comment "It smells like pie!"

I usually bring 12oz of unsweetened almond milk and a packet of protein powder for contingencies.  I figure it's better than raiding the cupboards in the snack room.  Some nights I drink it, some nights I don't.  I drank this one on my way home because I was feeling a little growly.  I have also found that I can't eat much before going to sleep because heartburn.  Heartburn is bullshit.  I've never had it in my life except when heavily pregnant, but it pops up during the overnights if I don't watch myself.  Then I end up drinking Maalox like a beverage.  I'll give you a pharmacist tip:  Maalox is a shitty beverage. 

White Chocolate Peppermint protein shake.  

My goal is to get on the treadmill before going to bed, but since I didn't sleep on Thursday at all I'd been awake for 26ish hours by the time I got home.  There was no bloody way I was getting on the treader like that.  I've been known to fall asleep on the treadmill.  That's a true story.  I was about 15 weeks post-partum with the boys and I was working out after second shift at the hospital gym.  I was on the treadmill, about 4 miles into a 6 mile workout, it was about 11:30pm, and I'd become so transfixed on a point in front of me that I fell asleep.  While running.  It's fortunate that I snapped to and was able to recover my balance...I don't wear that safety key thing.  Safety keys are for pussies.  I live on the edge, bitches.

Anyway, I went straight to bed and had 6 hours of total restorative sleep.  I don't think I even moved.  I'd set my alarm for 2:30pm and when it went off, I just got up.  That rarely happens.  I also got on Torvald the Treader and did SIX POINT FIVE MOTHERFUCKING MILES.  It's not a record, my treadmill longest is 8.5 I think, but I didn't want to jump off a bridge the whole time today.  I actually felt pretty damn good.  

I had an orange and a small handful of pecans before getting on the treader.  I seem to have lost the picture.  

Before.

After.

I love the treadmill calorie counter.  Does anyone actually believe that crock of shit?  With no heartrate, no weight information, no age/gender questions, the treadmill magically determined I burned 961 calories.  HA.

Fantastic husband made some kind of ranch chili whatsits for dinner.  We had it over sweet potatoes.  It was pretty damn good.  Spicyish.  The potato was good post-workout fuel, since I finished about 20 minutes before dinner.  

Giddyup!

I can't believe it.  I slept great, I got my workout in, and I didn't eat all the things.  I win. Now I've got a couple of hours to relax before it's time to shower up and head to the salt mine.  Sweet.  Last night was busy enough to keep me going strong, which was helpful in staving off total exhaustion.  Hopefully tonight will be another good one.

I may have also agreed to give the pharmacists a presentation on Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS). My cert just expired and I need to renew it, but in the meantime I guess I get to review extra hard while I get ready to present.  This means I have to go to the hospital in the daytime.  Crazy.  Fortunately I don't have to do it until March.  Plenty of time to procrastinate.

Weekly goal recap:
Crossfit two days. Achieved.
Yoga two days. Achieved.
Run every day. Achieved.

I am ON FIRE.





No comments:

Post a Comment