Friday, May 8, 2015

Blogging 2015: 402 down, 1613 to go

Hey, it's been a while!  Aside from the sump pump blowing up and working, I haven't been doing much except going to the gym and knitting.  Exciting stuff, yes?  Today is my first full day off, so I was actually running on a normal schedule which means being awakened at 5:50am by small children.

I batted them away until around 6:20am when I was forced to wake up and feed them.

Their breakfast was cereal and bananas by request, but I wasn't really ready to eat yet. At least not surrounded by Cocoa Puffs.  Have you eaten Cocoa Puffs? That shit is delicious. It is chemical, it is sugar laden, and it turns the motherfucking milk chocolate. 

I had 2 cups of coffee, we walked the girl child to school, and I came home and made breakfast for myself.

A shitload of spinach, a runny egg, and an orange.

After breakfast I took the boy smalls with me to the gym.  They love the ropes, and they climb them pretty well. Getting down is a different story. They just drop to the floor and I envision broken ankles and collar bones.  Sigh.

"Look at me, Mommy!!"

Today was rough at the box. It's been hot the last couple of days (which means 80s with humidity) and initially I was fine, but about 4 rounds into a 6 round WOD I felt like I was on the point of passing out. So hot I felt dizzy and nauseated. I went outside for a bit to get some air and came back in and finished, but it was slow as shit and I didn't do GHDs because the upside-down of it all made me feel like I was going to hurl. I'm a little proud of myself for finishing. I could've just stopped.

We came back home after the gym and I made lunch for the boys. Girl child had a half day at school, so when we finished up lunch we retrieved her and headed for Menards to buy garden supplies. I had some halibut with herbs and dijon and some asparagus.

So. Fucking. Healthy.

I drew a diagram of the garden and we discussed what we should plant. I'm going to use the Square Foot Gardening technique to keep things well labeled and under control.  The pipe is for trellis netting so we can train melons, peas, tomatoes, and zucchini to grow up instead of out. We're also going to run some pumpkins, but that will be over the side towards the fence.  The kids are super stoked. The trellis frame is made from steel electrical conduit reinforced with rebar. Cheap and easy.  It took me about an hour to construct the grid and the trellis frames. Dogs are shitty helpers. The squares are just wood lath. Planting starts on Sunday!

You know what really gets in the way of garden construction?
A Vizsla.

I came inside and peeled off my destroyed manicure and had a little snack.

Surprise. I ate 3 of these bad boys today.

The last freezer meal workshop I did included southwest turkey burgers. I still had enough stuff to make them again so I cooked up a batch.  I sold them to the kids as TACO TURKEY BURGERS!!! YAAAAAAY! and put cheese on them. They all remarked that they smelled great and 2 of the 3 ate an entire burger. I'm taking that as a win. Turkey burgers are generally pretty shitty and tasteless, but these are good. Just a little kicky. 

And snap peas.

After supper we took the dog for a walk and the kids played at the park for a bit. P&C invited themselves to play baseball with a father and son who were having a little batting practice. They were pretty excited. We came home and played in the yard a bit, then they had a little TV time and are now in bed. They are whining about being in bed, but it's fantastic husband's workday, I've been entertaining them all day, and dammit I need a break.

Since I wrecked my (week old) manicure making the trellis, I gave myself a new manicure. 

Neutral, yet sparkly.

I'll be hitting the box tomorrow at some point. Fantastic husband is doing the Walk a Mile in Her Shoes fundraiser against domestic violence tomorrow. If I'm feeling especially ambitious, I may take the kids to the dog park fundraiser. Then maybe rugby. It could be a long day.

For Mother's Day we'll be planting the garden. With luck I'll get to CF that morning...and I sort of want to go to the movies alone.  I used to go to the movies solo all the time and I loved it. We'll see, we'll see. Weirdly this is the first mothers day since I started crapping out kids that fantastic husband doesn't have to work. Which means I can leave the house...and maybe not feel like murdering all of my crotchfruit at the end of the day. That would be novel. 

Do all you mothers out there have big plans? Anyone like me who when asked "What do you want for Mother's Day?" answered "Silence."?


No comments:

Post a Comment