Saturday, October 3, 2015

Blogging 2015: 795 down, 1220 to go (Lurong Day 20)

Today was odd. I worked last night, of course. It was deadly dull. And I don't mean people died, because they didn't, but that is was slow to the point of pain.  I actually was in pain, because after all the squatting and the lunging this week it was painful to sit on my ass. So I kept wandering around the pharmacy looking for something to do standing up.

At midnight I ate my dinner.

Thai Basil Beef and cauli rice.

It's really a good thing I'm sleeping alone this week, because I've consumed an inordinate amount of cruciferous vegetables.

I tried to do some CE, but I was too bored and it was making me sleepy. One of these days I'll make it through that Biostatistics lecture. One of these days.

Around 6am I chomped down an apple. No picture. My phone battery goes from 80% to empty at an alarming rate in the pharmacy for some reason. It died, so my camera was unavailable.

After work I flopped into bed and was asleep almost instantly. I got up at 2:30 and released the sitter from the slow burning hell that is spending a Saturday with the smalls. Then I had breakfast. 

Cherry riesling, beef jerky, and dried cherries.
Shut up.

It was the first day of the Wisconsin Open at the box today, and the kids were all jacked up about going to the gym, so I showered up and got them ready to go. I pulled out a pair of jeans I haven't worn in a while. In truth I haven't worn much but workout clothes and scrubs for a while. Thankfully they fit. Witness my size 12 skinny jeans. That's right, bitches. I'm plus sized and proud of it. You can suck on that size 12, fashion industry.

The plus means they're extra good.

I've never been to a weight lifting competition, and it was interesting to watch. Every lifter has their thing. Noises, facial expressions, a little ritual before pulling the bar. We saw a lot of great lifts and a few scary ones. Both of my boys came out of the play room to watch. C was especially excited. "He did it, Mom! That was so heavy and he picked it right up!" They both informed me that they would like to be power lifters. P told me that he was going to start lifting weights tomorrow.  I should probably hide my dumbbells. This could get ugly.

After the comp was over for the day, I took the kids to Red Robin for dinner. I had a burger no bun and some sweet potato fries. I completely spaced taking a picture. Oh well. It was delicious, and the kids all ordered their food perfectly and had second helpings of fruit. There were a large number of teenagers bound for Homecoming in the restaurant. I do not miss that shit at all. Of course, that might be because I never once got asked to a dance in high school. Or college. What can I say. My personality was 100% effective birth control. 

My affirmation for day 3 was...
Good health is a gift.

I have minimal physical issues. Scoliosis runs in my family, but in spite of my height and the curvature of my spine I've had very little real trouble with my back during my life. I do not live with pain, inflammation, or true discomfort of any kind aside from that which I inflict on myself in the gym. What minor issues do develop are quickly dealt with and I go back to being in excellent health. Working in health care, I understand how rare it is to be without physical complaint. A body that is in perfect health at baseline is a gift. Worrying about stupid shit like cellulite diminishes that perfection. Today I walked tall and celebrated my body with good posture and a deep gratitude for all it's moving parts. Even the ones that are twinging after many squats and lunges. Caring for this body is my duty and my privilege. This is the vessel that moves me through the world, and I am grateful for it.

5 more nights in the salt mine and vacation begins. Tomorrow if I'm lucky I'll get back to the box for a little more spectating and still manage 6ish hours of sleep before yoga. I'm looking forward to it. I have an appointment with a run coach on 10/13 to set some goals and develop a training plan for my spring half marathon. I've got a significant PR in me. I can feel it. I just need to not be afraid of the work it will take to get there.

Saturday night in the hospital pharmacy. Party on, Wayne.

No comments:

Post a Comment