Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Day 15 of 23: 800m Repeats Can Suck It

I was all excited for Spring to be here...and it was. In the form of April showers. Sigh. I still wore fucking shorts, because it is APRIL. And wet pants really suck for running.

This morning I got up and headed to the box for the 515. We squatted and rowed and a bunch of other stuff. I was proud of myself for squatting 125 x 5, since that's only 5lbs (10lbs? I can't remember if my max was 130 or 135 suddenly) below my max and I failed the fuck out of 140 a few weeks ago. Stupid lazy glutes. I've gotten lazy with my heavy bridges, since I don't have a flat bench at home and to use the downstairs ottoman I have to shovel a metric ton of shit out of the way. Time to get back on that wagon. Swimsuit season is a-comin'. I wore a new pair of pants today and was again astounded by the fact that through squatting, rowing, snatching, deadlifting, and goblet squatting I never had to pull up my pants! Not once!

I have to eat before I work out. I cannot do it on an empty stomach. So many people can run or whatever with nothing but coffee in their guts, but not me. I can't go hard with no calories. This morning I tried out a Wellabar as a pre-WOD snack. 300ish calories with a nice mix of protein and carbs.

And Deathwish. It's 4:30am for fuck's sake.

After the WOD I did some GHDs and then headed home. Fantastic husband had breakfast and lunch for the kids handled, so I finished my coffee, made another cup, and after the smalls left for school? I made a giant breakfast. If I'm being honest it was a complete bribe. I hate 800m repeats. But if I eat this much I have no excuse not to run fast, right?

EAT ALL THE FOOD.

It was 36ish degrees and raining lightly when we got back to the box. Fantastic husband did the WOD, and I went out for my run. 1.5 miles around the industrial park. Honestly, the temp was fine even in shorts. I wore knee high smartwool socks and I wasn't cold. The wind was kind of evil down Glory Rd, but out of the wind it was fairly pleasant. I did my repeats with a 400m recovery interval. I normally walk at least part of the recovery, but it was too wet for that today. I ran the whole deal, just not as fast at the repeats. Once I finished my 800s, I decided to run a slow mile as a cooldown. During my final mile it started sleeting. By the time I got back to the box I was soaked to the skin. After rolling out my legs (which were bright red from the cold) I changed clothes. Every single layer I was wearing was saturated and my hair was dripping. Spring, my big white ass.

Oh, I also got splashed by a truck. That was fun. 

After his workout, fantastic husband worked on pull-ups and I rolled out my calves (which hurt like a bitch for some reason). Basically we were killing time until HuHot opened at 11, because I was hungry. I had a huge plateful of meat and veg. I love HuHot.

Get in my belly!

After lunch we headed home. I turned on the fireplace and folded laundry while I enjoyed a nice cup of coffee full of booze. Can't be perfect all the time. It was after noon...

Valhalla with Kringle Cream.

One of the things I always found frustrating about training for distance is the hunger. I used to use running for weight loss (which is laughable because it didn't work AT ALL) and the hunger would drive me insane. Now that I eat every 2 hours or so it's less problematic, but the ferocity of it startled me a little today. Must have been the combination of fresh air, cold, and hard intervals.

Snacks. NOM.

Fantastic husband took the smalls to CF kids and then for haircuts, so I was on my own for dinner. I have yoga at 6:30, so I ate early. It's either that or wait until 8 tonight to have my dinner and we all know that's crazy talk. 

Work hard, eat well.

I am very much looking forward to hot yoga tonight. Dreary days make me cold, especially after a strenuous run. I recover too far in the other direction. My heart rate drops through the floor and I get chilled to my bones. Stretching in a hot room will be divine. My legs can definitely use it. 

Tomorrow I'm going to play it by ear. I'm sure I'll go to the box at some point, but I also need a nap before heading back into the salt mine. Something tells me that Friday and Sunday I'm going to do fuck all, so I may need to push myself to be active tomorrow. The weather is supposed to improve pretty markedly. I'm hopeful. 

Goal for this week at work: GET ALL MY WATER. Eat a shitload of veggies. Be as active as possible. 

Try on a pair of extra-small scrub pants. 

Final stretch, then I'm on my own. Strangely, I feel very confident that I can keep this up without oversight. I am going to miss the data, though, because as you know...I love being an experiment of one. 


1 comment:

  1. I experienced HuHot for the first time a couple weeks ago and have fallen in love with it myself. What a great concept. Also, cheesecake rangoons.

    ReplyDelete